Wednesday, August 23, 2006

hello Davao!

Last week, I went to Davao (together with 8 co-workers) to attend a workshop on “Effective Written Communication Skills”. It was such good timing that our arrival was the start of the Kadayawan Festival that will run for a week. I was thrilled. I was looking forward to see colorful presentations, parades, and all that festive feeling!

But then maybe I have expected too much.

I did not see any parade or colorful presentations (i.e. street dancing) because they were done during the day just when we were cooped inside the training venue trying to learn new stuff in written communication.

Again, I have expected too much from the training.
Most of the things taught us, I already know. I hate to say it was such a waste of government funds.

So I just tried to offset my disappointment by taking pictures and experiencing what other things Davao has to offer…


seen inside the Royal Mandaya Hotel


during the training/workshop....


Durian ice cream at 43 Php per scoop


of course i also did some shopping: batik bags and shawls for my aunts, durian candies for cousins, fresh durian for my dad, pomelo for my sister, souvenir t-shirts for myself.

fresh durian was sold for 65Php per kilo. i got mine for 115Php at almost 2 kilos... so much for the fruit that smells like hell but tastes heavenly! pomelos can be bought for 15Php per kilo. too bad i couldn't afford to buy stuff for ALL my loved ones. then again, i hope they'd understand that being an ordinary government employee doesn't make one rich. hehehe.

note to self / lessons learned/things discovered:

1. remind self not to expect too much

2. some people just don't readily welcome new learnings (in the case of some participants in the workshop)

3. always have extra space in luggage for the pasalubong (because i don't wanna carry extra bags for them) or simply pack light.


Yummy! durian ice cream anyone?

No comments: