Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Puto!

It’s past 2 o’clock in the morning and I have just finished cooking my 2nd batch of puto.

When I cooked my first batch, I didn’t have my own steamer and mold. But knowing myself, I constantly think of ways to improvise. So I got our big wok, deep enough to fill it with water and spacious enough to fit an 8"x11" aluminum tray. That's quite a big puto that had to be sliced into 3"x2" little pieces.

But this time for my 2nd attempt, I borrowed my aunt’s steamer and bought those little plastic cups to serve as mould.


the finished product


still in their mould, fresh from the steamer

And here's the recipe that you can try for yourself:

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup oil (coconut or vegetable oil)
1 tsp. vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk, mixed with 1/2 cup water
slices of cheese (to serve as toppings)

  1. Sift flour for 3 times.
  2. Add all the other dry ingredients and mix well.
  3. Gradually add the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well in one direction. This prevents it from bubbling.
  4. Pour by teaspoon and fill up to 3/4 of the moulder.
  5. Put the cheese slices on top.
  6. Steam for 10-12 minutes.
I hope you have fun doing it as i did.
Enjoy!

No comments: