Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Maja Blanca (or is it Blanco?)

Another post backlog.

Before puto, here's the first recipe taught to us in Food Trades evening class:

ROYAL MAJA BLANCA

- 2 cups of coconut cream or what we call "kakang gata"
- 6 cups of coconut milk (it's when you put warm water to the grated coconut meat and squeeze to get the milk)
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can of sweet corn, cream style
- chopped nuts or grated cheese for toppings

Procedure:
- Dissolve the sugar into the coconut milk then bring to a boil
- Dissolved cornstarch into the coconut cream then pour into the now boiling mixture of coconut milk and sugar. Notice the mixture will instantly thicken.
- Stir continuously to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot
- Stir in the cream style sweet corn until the mixture is thick enough to be poured into moulders (or a tray)
- Top with chopped nuts or grated cheese

= = =

Now this recipe brings back memories of my teenage years when my mom cooks them for me to sell in school.

Yup. I was a "working student" when i was in high school. Sort of.

Times were tough back then so my mom had to do something to get me to stay in school. Everyday she would cook maja then i'd sell 30 pieces of them for Php2.00 per piece.

In the early 90's, Php60.00 served as my allowance for four days (that's Php15.00/day).

*sigh*

Those were the days.

= = =

My siblings were more fortunate than me coz mom was already working abroad when they were in high school. I was in college that time and making extra money by selling those pocket sized packs of facial tissues. My mom was laughing when i told her about it.

Perhaps i was just the most "enterprising" one among her children. Always thinking of ways to make ends meet.

= = =

*sigh*

Those were the days.

No comments: