Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Damsel in Distress

People were already going home a few minutes after the Chief declared work suspension by 4pm due to the heavy rains and flooding. But I had to stay for a few more hours to practice the steps for next week's presentation. The group planned to practice today but I was looking forward to go home already as I don't wanna get stranded on my way. They caught me by a phonecall. I should have ignored it when the office phone rang, coz it was closing time anyway. My bad. So I had no choice but to join the practice since it was still raining hard.

By around past six, we finally packed it up. It was already dark outside and it was still raining a bit. Plus, I was on my own because all my officemates have gone earlier. Jeepneys were cutting the trip just to avoid the flooded areas. I had to walk some more to get to my next jeepney terminal.

So there I was. The moment I never wished for, but it was already happening. The flood water was knee-high. Murky, dirty water with a lot of what-nots floating in it. My pants and platform shoes were soaked in the flood as I half-waded towards the next terminal. The umbrella was then used as a cane to guide me as I take baby-steps to avoid open manholes and excavations on the road.

Finally, I was walking in the street of my own neighborhood. Wet, tired, and cold. I hugged my jacket tighter for warmth, and tried to suppress a sob that threatened to escape from inside me.


I was thinking to myself, "So this is what it feels like."

Hours ago, J texted me that he wouldn't be able to come to the office to accompany me home. I know he wouldn't let me walk in flooded streets. Or he would not let me walk alone if we really can't help walking in it.

But my superman's got fever. So I walked by myself.

No comments: