Monday, December 17, 2007

walking by myself from the office

7:30 PM

Passed by the chapel but its huge doors were already closed. So i just uttered my thanksgiving prayer while i walked towards the covered walkway near Finance Building. The leaves of the trees were rustling and i felt the cool December wind blowing when i reached the open space of the compound. I closed my eyes for a while and inhaled deeply, feeling the wind on my face. I thank God for moments like that.

Out on the street, past the intersection, towards the other streetcorner where fruit vendors were lined up beside one another. My nose was pleasantly bombarded y the smell of mandarin oranges. I would've bought some to bring home but my hands were already full.

Colorful lanterns were hung everywhere. Christmas lights dance before my very eyes to the tune of "Jingle Bells". Loudspeakers in front of the beauty parlors fill my ears with Christmas songs. I smiled a little smile. But it was my heart that smiled the widest.

The night was brighter. And despite the cold weather, I have this warm feeling inside me that makes me feel good. It's telling me that things are gonna get better. I was happy.

I never noticed these things before when i walked these streets with somebody. And during the first few weeks when i had no choice but to walk by myself, i was always afraid and in tears. But lately, i'm getting the hang of it.

The night was brighter. The sounds were clearer. The mood was lighter. Everywhere i turn, the things i see make me thank God for the small but meaningful things around me.

Every smile i see was greeted back with a smile. But it was my heart that smiled the widest.

;)

No comments: