Saturday, October 27, 2007

Weekend Run

I said i'm gonna do it again, and so i did!

Nevermind that my feet was tortured by the killer boots yesterday. Nothing's gonna stop me from this now. Except maybe the rain but hey, there's such a thing called treadmill at my aunt's place so i have no reason not to pursue this newfound addiction that i have. ;P

Unlike last week, there are no special attractions today. (I wonder if we broke Ireland's record for the most number of dancers gathered in a dance routine? We'll see about that later.) But today we have a new addition to the bunch!

Si Apple! She's my aunt's niece (in her husband's side, so she's not my cousin) and my younger sister's batchmate in gradeschool. So, y'all can say we're not pretty close (with the age gap and the fact that we rarely see each other) and as usual, my introversion gets in the way.

All throughout the drive to Luneta Grandstand, we were silent at the backseat, laughing occasionally when my uncle cracks a joke or tells a funny story about his younger days. All throughout the drive i was thinking of a good opening for a conversation or at least some small talk. I was telling myself go ask anything! It's gonna be almost 2 hours of walking and jogging and it's pretty damn awkward to act as if you don't know each other.

So i started with a simple how do you do?. And that made the ball rolling. It may not be a very engaging conversation filled with profound words, but at least i got her talking! The whole 2-hour session was fun. We did three rounds at the CCP Main Building ramp and even made fun of the group of guys who passed us by.

We stopped by the market before going home, and while my aunt and uncle do their shopping, Apple and i stayed in the car and talked while we wait for them. Aside from a few silent moments, we were alright. We made fun of some campaign posters of candidates for the barangay elections, we talked about places we've been in and places we wish to explore, and shared some commute bloopers. We were laughing until it was time to go home.


= = =


Now i'm thinking. She was another person who saw my extrovert side--my crazy side. Most of my relatives' and neighbors' (people outside work and school) impression about me is i'm a shy, straight A and boring type of person. It's only just recently that i have let them see my extroverted side.

Most people think i'm a weird person because i got accelerated in gradeschool and i took up psychology in college (close to being untouchable). Well, i can be weird sometimes (we all have our quirks) but i can be fun, too!

When people meet me the first time, people think i'm a chinita snob. But i'm not. Most times, i'm just quietly assessing the other person and also thinking of a good line to start a conversation. Or maybe there were instances when i didn't notice the other person when i'm walking on the street coz i'm so focused on getting to my destination (or maybe i was deep in my thoughts!).

I'm not perfect. I'm not an all-knowing person. I can be slow sometimes. I'm not a chinita snob.

So next time you see me, go ahead and say hi. Make your presence known when you see me walking down the street. As long as i don't get rubbed the wrong way, i won't bite. And you might just see the sweetest chinita smile you've never seen before that could add some more sunshine to your day.

= = =

Have a great weekend!

No comments: